Nona’s Broccoli and Spinach SoupCourse: Main, AppetizerDifficulty: Medium
A delightfully green soup that tastes creamy with no cream in the recipe. Nona’s brilliant addition is the touch of cinnamon which gives it a kick and seems to enhance every flavor.
2 medium sized heads broccoli, florets only, roughly chopped
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 leeks, sliced thin
2 carrots, diced
1 large russet potato, peeled and chopped
6 gloves garlic, finely diced
8 cups vegetable stock
2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped parsley
4 cups fresh spinach, washed and stems removed
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- In a large dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, leeks, and carrots. Cook for 10 minutes until softened.
- Reduce heat to low. Add garlic and potato. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until garlic is aromatic.
- Add stock, broccoli, tomatoes, and parsley. Bring to boil over high heat. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add spinach. Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg. Add salt and pepper to taste. Turn off heat and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Working in batches, blend soup to preferred consistency. Alternatively, use a stick blender in dutch oven.
- Return soup to duch oven and heat on low for 5-10 minutes. Add vinegar and serve. Garnish with pepitas and microgreens.
- Adapted from The Silver Palate Cookbook