Crispy Eggplant ParmesanCourse: MainCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Medium
A delightfully different and crispy version of the soggy eggplant parmesan you may have tried before.
8-10 Small eggplants, such as Hansel, sliced into 1/4″ rounds
2 Tbsp Salt, divided
2 cups All-purpose flour, divided
2 egg yolks
1 cup cold skim milk
2 cups Panko bread crumbs
1 tsp black pepper
2 cups vegetable oil
3 cups tomato sauce, preferable homemade
2 cups shredded mozzarella
fresh parsley, basil or microgreens for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Place a cooking rack on a sheet pan and place in oven to keep fried eggplants warm while cooking in batches. Salt eggplants and set aside for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, coat eggplant in 1/2 cup flour to absorb any remaining moisture.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup flour and egg yolks. Whisk until smooth. Add milk, whisking continuously until no lumps remain.
- Heat oil in a wok or deep saucepan on medium high heat until 350°F.
- Meanwhile, in a wide bowl, combine remaining flour, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper in a wide bowl.
- Add half the eggplant to batter mixture. Stir to coat well. Remove eggplant from batter and coat in bread crumbs. Gently plate breaded eggplant in oil, stirring occasionally to prevent eggplant from sticking together. Fry for 5-7 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove eggplant from oil and place on rack in oven.
- Repeat steps 6-7 with remaining eggplant.
- Remove fried eggplant from oven and serve with tomato sauce and mozzarella. Optionally, serve over pasta. Garnish with basil or microgreens.